Life is abundant and sometimes abundantly messy. Finding safe and effective ways to clean up life's little messes is the topic for today's conversation. Recently, we were cleaning for a client, N.O. (our client). While at her home, she shared with us her brilliant way of cleaning up kitty surprises.
Carpet spills are deceptive. What you see is not always what you have. If the visible spill is the size of a tennis ball- chances are it is 5-10 times larger on the backing of your carpet. It is like magic but not the good kind.
Over the years, we have found a lot of spotting usually leads to a lot of residue left behind. When we clean, our hot water reactivates the spotting residue and we become surrounded by dense patches of soap/foam.
This soap residue is not what you want! It will attract more soil, it will become food for bacteria and you most likely still have some of the original spill/leek left behind.
Thanks to this recipe, from N.O, we think you will be amazed at what a beautiful and effective job can done to clean up life’s little surprises, leaving nothing behind!!! Love it!!!
1. Find the spill/spray/pee spot- the sooner the better!!
Hint: Do not rub fabric back and forth - you will damage the carpet fibers
3. Spray spot with either club soda or fresh water
N.O. said the original recipe was to use club soda- which she used for a while but then just switched to water and hasn't noticed much difference.
Hint: There is a bubbling reaction with the club soda and baking soda- you may want to try both ways.
4. Next cover spill with baking soda
N.O. puts enough to completely cover carpet so you can't see the carpet any more.
Hint: Let the baking soda completely dry.
5. When your baking soda is completely dry - vacuum it all up - completely.
Hint: This process may need to be done a couple times for big spills.
Why I like this recipe...
* Baking soda is usually already in your pantry, deleting the need for a special cleaner
* Baking soda is a non toxic- mineral with a pH of about 8.5
* The spill gets wicked out of your carpet instead of absorbing into the pad
* Baking soda is wonderful for absorbing moisture and odors
* There won’t be any residual soil attracting soap/foam left behind
Good luck with life's little messes. May the abundance of joy and love you receive from your messy family far outweigh any unwanted residues left behind!
As always, wishing you and your family a healthy, happy and residue free home!
Note: I'm using our client's initials N.O. because I want to give her full credit but do not want to publish her name all over the world.