Monday, September 19, 2016

Go Off Road Today

Inspired by one brave cook who went off road with a pair of calf's feet.

   This weekend I was flipping through an old cookbook and came across a recipe that both amazed me but also turned my stomach a bit.  Beyond my reactions to this slightly odd recipe, I was in awe.  In awe of the person who creatively came up with such a recipe.  Some brave soul said, why not, let's try this.  It may be out of the box, unusual, weird, unconventional, etc but what the heck, let's give it a try anyway.
 
     The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.  Trying something new, no matter how unconventional takes your life off road.  Off road is where there is fresh energy.  We need to go off road.

  Today, do something out of the blue, raise eye brows and shift your day.  Our lives are meant to be explored not set on auto pilot.  Go play- shock your friends, wear white after Labor Day.

If you are wondering what wild recipe got me going, read on...here it is word for word:

      Calf's Foot Jelly

A set of calf's feet:  Boil them in four quarts of water until reduced to two.  They should be simmered, not boiled.  Set the jelly away after being strained until the next day.  When the grease must be taken off carefully, and the jelly boiled with the juice and rind of three lemons, one pint of wine, a little cinnamon, a pint of sugar, and the whites and shells of four eggs for twenty minutes.  Then pour it into the jelly strainer and allow to drip without disturbance.
 Nebraska Pioneer Cookbook by Kay Graber

I told you!  After I got over my shock about this recipe, I thought, this is actually kind of healthy- a little like bone broth jelly.  Hummm, I don't think I'll try to make it but if given the opportunity, I would try it.  

Wishing you many days of sanity, off road adventures and living outside the box,
       Denise 







No comments:

Post a Comment