Friday, October 14, 2016

Long Lost Things

Thank you to everyone who has attended my classes last month.  What a great groups!!   Last Thursday at Kirkland's clutter clearing class, I read this poem from my aunt Velma.  I was asked to post it and so here it is... enjoy

  For anyone who doesn't know this story, my mom and I got a message from my aunt when we were cleaning out her home.  My great Aunt Velma, passed away a years ago. She was 103- vibrant and very curious.

 My mom and I cleaned out her home after her passing.  As many of you know this is a tough job, deciding what needs saved and what needs to be let go.  In many ways it is easier to clean your own stuff than to be responsible for some else treasures.  Anyway, as we were cleaning we came upon a poem taped to the inside of an my aunt's china closet/desk.  She had left us a note...Thank you Aunt Velma!!!  Here is the note/poem she left behind for us non ruthless fingers;-)

I would be glad of fingers
Not too ruthless
But impersonal
Would weed out little keepsakes
I have kept for years
Scrapbook poems
Letters, useless gifts
Once dear with sentiment
                                         Greeting cards    
And other bits of old remembering

I have no need of them
They clutter up my desk
But once I start
To clear them out
And pause to look at them
My hands are stayed
Nor can I bring myself
To throw one single thing away!

I would be glad of fingers
Tender but impersonal
Would throw my little
Long kept things
Away

                                         Written by: Lou…

No comments:

Post a Comment